Happy November, friends! And Happy Halloween! I hope you all have (or had) fun Halloween plans. October was super busy with work, and it’s only going to get busier.
But anyway, let’s talk about the books I read this month!
- The Midnight Library by Matt Haig: 3.5 stars
- Last Call by Elon Green: 4 stars
My reading slump unfortunately has not ended. As you may remember, I had big plans for the last few months of the year, but alas. I’ve just been so busy with work that I don’t feel like reading when I get home. But I’m hoping to reading more in November (not likely to happen, but a gal can hope).
- Red Comet by Heather Clark: I am still working my way through this. I considered DNFing it, but I am interested in it. So I’ll persist and listen to it whenever possible.
- A History of my Brief Body by Billy-Ray Belcourt: I actually finished listening to this book, but want to listen to it again over the next couple of weeks, so I’m considering this a “currently reading”.
- A Ghost in the Throat by Doireann Ní Ghríofa: I got this from the library recently, and am about 80 pages in and enjoying it! I plan to finish it the first week of November, all things going well.
- Survivor: Blood vs. Water: I really enjoyed this season! I thought it was a lot of fun, the Blood vs. Water twist was really great, and it was overall a great time. I was really happy with the winner, as well.
- Survivor: Borneo: since my partner and I caught up to where we started, we decided to go back and watch the early seasons! I really enjoyed Borneo and see why it’s a classic. I thought Richard definitely deserved to win as he was literally the only person playing. Overall, a really great season.
- Survivor: Australia: I really enjoyed this season! It’s probably one of my favourites, honestly. It’s a great mix of old and new Survivor (which is surprising considering it’s the second season), and I love the cast. Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but Tina did not deserve to win this season. I don’t particularly like Colby, but I think he played a better game overall than Tina. But ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- Squid Game: I, like everyone else, have been watching Squid Game. I’m about halfway through right now and really, really enjoying it. It is emotionally devastating, but very well done and interesting.
- The Bachelorette: Michelle’s season of the Bachelorette started this month! I’m v excited to get back into the drama. I’m also doing a couple of brackets with a couple of my friends, so I’m very excited about that as well.
Other bookish posts
What to read if you don’t like reading // Books I want to read before the end of the year // Auto-buy authors // Recommending some standalones // Books on my TBR: books about anger // Books described with clickbait titles // In or Out Book Tag
Other news and highlights
- I am really wracking my brain for what I did in October lol
- For the bar course in Alberta, I had to do a week-long workshop, so that was something. I’m happy it’s over lmao
- We had Canadian Thanksgiving! My partner and I had dinner with family one day and his family the other day, so we got a lot of turkey and leftovers. It was really good to see our families and also have an extra day off.
- This month was really busy at work. I ended up working a lot of overtime hours that I haven’t completely used up yet. But I made a lot of great progress on some files and opened some new files, so it was a good working month overall.
- My partner and I went to a candlelit string quartet concert the Saturday before Halloween, and it was really great! They played a lot of ~spooky~ classical music, and a few theme songs for Halloween movies. It was one of the first things we’ve done since covid, so it was great to have some normalcy.
- November is going to be really busy. I have my first ever trial scheduled, and I have to prepare for another trial and a Landlord-Tenant Board hearing scheduled in early December. I also have a lot of other things that need to get resolved or at least organized before the Christmas break. I ALSO am starting the next phase of our bar course, so I will probably be even more absent this upcoming month. Wish me luck!
How was your October? What have you read this month? Have you watched anything recently? Let me know!