Welcome to my how to blogging advice series! Today, I’m answering the age-old question of how to make an exclusive DNF shelf on Goodreads!
Goodreads automatically gives you three shelves that are mutually exclusive: Read, Currently Reading, and Want to Read. Being mutually exclusive means that a book can only be on one of the shelves. So, if you’ve marked a book as Read, it can’t also be on Want to Read.
But, you can make any shelf you want mutually exclusive as well! This can be super useful if you want to indicate which books you’ve DNFed or books you don’t want to read or books you didn’t like, or whatever.
(also I just want to preface this by saying my friend Satou Johns also did a post describing this a couple of weeks ago, and his is much more succinct than mine, so make sure you go check his out as well!)
How to add a shelf
This is super easy, but I thought I’d point it out just in case someone was lost.
- Select “My Books” at the top of the webpage.
- On the sidebar, under the list of your shelves, click “Add shelf”.
- A box will pop up for you to name your shelf. Just click “add” once you’ve named it, and it’ll automatically be made.
How to make a shelf mutually exclusive
This is super easy to do as well, but I see people on Twitter and Goodreads asking all the time.
- Once you’re on My Books, add a shelf and title it DNF (or whatever you want)
- Click (Edit) next to Bookshelves.
- Once there, select “exclusive” for the shelf you want.
- Make sure you click “I’m Done” at the bottom to save your changes!
And that’s it! Honestly, it’s that easy. But now, you know which books you’ve DNFed.
So that’s how to make a DNF shelf on Goodreads! I hope this was useful!
If there’s anything you want me to cover, let me know and I can do my best!
Thanks for reading! xx