Happy October, friends! I can’t believe I just wrote that, time flies when all the days feel the same.
- The Charm Offensive by Alison Cochrun: 3.5 stars
- Portrait of a Thief by Grace D. Li: 4 stars
- Luster by Raven Leilani: 3.5 stars
- Gutter Child by Jael Richardson: 3.5 stars
- Disappearing Earth by Julia Phillips: 5 stars
This was such a good reading month! I really, really enjoyed all of these books. Disappearing Earth especially was phenomenal.
- I’m currently reading How to Pronounce Knife by Souvankham Thammavongsa, which I may have already finished by the time this is going up. I’m loving it so far.
- I’m starting a book club with some of my friends, so this month we’ll be reading Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro, which I’m very excited to read.
- I’m also listening to Let Me Tell You What I Mean by Joan Didion, but my loan from the library was up so I have to wait several weeks to finish it.
- Survivor: Cambodia: god this season was so good. I loved it and had such a great time. Wentworth is fantastic and is responsible for two of the most iconic idol plays in Survivor history.
- My boyfriend have also watched the first episodes of Kaoh Rong and Survivor 43, both of which I’m enjoying so far!
- The Bachelorette(s): this season was a mess. I’m happy for Gabby and Erich, not surprised about Tino, and very let down by who they picked to be the next bachelor.
- I watched two movies this month, both on Netflix. Wedding Season was an adorable, cheesy, desi romcom and I adored it. It had all the good tropes — fake dating for convenience, oops I developed feelings, secretly rich, scheming parents, desi drama. I cannot recommend it enough. And Do Revenge, which was so much fun. I loved the visuals, I loved the story, I loved the acting. Overall a great movie.
Other news and highlights
- This was a pretty chill month!
- My boyfriend and I went to Banff with my best friend and her boyfriend, and we went on a beautiful hike and then had dinner in Banff. It ended up being a great day.
- It was also my friend’s bachelorette and bridal shower one weekend! I hadn’t seen her or her friends in a while, so it was really great to see them, catch up, and go out. I also hadn’t been out in a while (you know, the whole pandemic thing), and tbh I missed it, so I had a great time.
- My boyfriend and I thought we got covid again, but it was just a weird cold/flu. Because of that, we weren’t able to celebrate my brother’s birthday in-person with him, but we did see him two days later (after we had tested negative twice).
- Honestly other than that, it was a pretty chill month. I went on a lot of walks, read by the river a few times, saw my boyfriend’s family a lot, enjoyed the nice weather, worked, read. A very chill but good month.
Anyhow, how was your September? What have you been up to? What’s been the most engaging thing you’ve read recently? Let me know!
Thanks for reading! xx