Happy June, everyone! May went by too quickly, and now it’s the summer. Overall, it was a pretty great month so let’s take a look at what happened!
- Looker by Laura Sims: 3 stars
- Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe: 4 stars
- Empire of Pain by Patrick Radden Keefe: 4.5 stars
- The Family Chao by Lan Samantha Chang: 4 stars
Overall, this was a pretty good reading month! I think this has been my best reading month in terms of quantity, and I’m excited that I seem to be back into a reading mood.
- As of writing this, I haven’t started anything new since I finished The Family Chao.
- I have one ebook from the library, Olga Dies Dreaming by Xochitl Gonzalez, which I am very excited to read, so that will probably be my next reading. I also have a couple audiobooks I want to start soon.
- I read the first three chapters of Beautiful World, Where Are You by Sally Rooney, and was really enjoying it, but it wasn’t capturing me as much as I wanted it to, so I’ve put it on hold for now. But maybe I’ll pick it up this month.
- And then some physical books I want to read in the next few months are Descendant of the Crane by Joan He, , Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See, and Disappearing Earth by Julia Phillips
- Survivor 42: as of writing this, I haven’t watched the finale yet (though I know who wins). Overall, I’ve been enjoying this season!
- Survivor: Exile Island: my partner and I have also slowly been making our way through this season. It’s an okay season tbh. It’s so weird watching Cirie before she was Cirie. I’m like y’all, this is CIRIE!!! But I’m excited to finish it.
- I started rewatching Doctor Who, and have watched most of series 1 and 2. I’ve been skipping some episodes I remember not liking, but it’s been so fun to revisit.
Other bookish posts
This was the first month in a while I blogged relatively consistently, and I want to continue trying to keep it up! Now that I’m done the bar, I’ll hopefully have some more time.
Other news and highlights
- I found out I passed the bar this month!!!!! It felt kind of anticlimactic because I logged into a website that said “completed”. But I passed!! That’s all that matters!
- To celebrate, my dad bought me balloons and an ice cream cake, and we made pierogies with my boyfriend’s family. It was a great night.
- It was the NHL playoffs this month, so I watched a lot of hockey. Sadly, the Leafs were eliminated in the first round
(again)and then the Flames were eliminated soon after in the second round 😔😔
- Some of my friends and I did another book swap! We met over Zoom and opened books we sent each other, and it was a lot of fun. My friend Abby gave me a copy of Long Live the Tribe of Fatherless Girls by T. Kira Madden, which I’m so excited to read! It was a great afternoon, and I’m just really grateful for this group of people.
- The weather has been so nice lately, so I’ve been going on a ton of walks and listening to my audiobook. It’s so nice, and I’ve missed having that time to myself. I bought myself dinner and ate it in the park by the water the other night, and it was so nice.
- I got a new job! My current contract ends soon (🥲🥲), and I’ll be starting a new job at the end of June. I’m going back to research, and I’m really excited to get back to health and policy things. But I’m also very sad to be leaving my current place.
- We have a group chat of other students working in criminal defense in Calgary, and we finally had a meet up this month! We met for dinner/drinks, and then a group of us got ice cream after. It was nice to see people in-person and have a kind of normal night.
How was your May? What’s been your favourite book lately? Let me know!
Thanks for reading! xx