Happy Wednesday, friends! Hope your week has been off to a great start.
So my friend on Booktube, Rick MacDonnell, does this thing on his channel called the Booktube Spin, where you create a numbered TBR, Rick spins a wheel, and whatever number it lands on, you read the corresponding book. I think we’ve done six? rounds, and I’ve made TBRs for each round (largely the same books lol).
Anyhow, I thought it would be fun to look at all the TBRs I’ve made for the Spin and see what books I’ve read!
Books I’ve read
These were not all Spin picks, but rather books I put on my Spin TBR that I subsequently read (either from the Spin or just on my own). Overall, I’ve read 18 books, which I think is pretty good!
- The Project by Courtney Summers: 4 stars
- The Memory Police by Yoko Ogawa, translated by Stephen Snyder: 4.5 stars
- Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia: 2.5 stars
- Seven Days in June by Tia Williams: 4 stars
- Fault Lines by Emily Itami: 4 stars
- The Midnight Library by Matt Haig: 3.5 stars
- The Water Cure by Sophie Mackintosh: 4 stars
- Son of a Trickster by Eden Robinson: 4 stars
- The Girls I’ve Been by Tess Sharpe: 4 stars
- Honey Girl by Morgan Rogers: 3 stars
- Neverworld Wake by Marisha Pessl: 4 stars
- She Drives Me Crazy by Kelly Quindlen: 4.5 stars
- The Gallery of Unfinished Girls by Lauren Karcz: 3 stars
- Ties That Tether by Jane Igharo: 3.5 stars
- From the Ashes by Jesse Thistle: 4.5 stars
- Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke: 3 stars
- The One by John Marrs: 4.5 stars
- Lobizona by Romina Garber: 4 stars
Overall, I’ve also had fairly good success with my picks! Most are 4 stars, and some of these became favourites. It’s almost like I know my taste or something.
Books I’ve removed from by TBR
Sometimes, the Spin will pick a book or I will get a book from the library, so I’ll give it a shot and realize it’s not what I want. So four books have been removed from my TBR completely.
- Wild Women and the Blues by Denny S. Bryce: I am genuinely so devastated about this one. It sounds so good, like it was written perfectly for me. And then I get it from the library and,,, the writing was horrific. So terrible. I don’t mean this to be mean, but it sounded like something 11-year-old me wrote. I couldn’t even make it past the first chapter.
- Influence by Sara Shepard: this was a Spin pick, and I downloaded it from the library, and then just couldn’t force myself to read it. I tried to read the first chapter, and just didn’t care. Recently with YA, I’ve been super picky; if I’m not interested in the first chapter, it takes a lot for me to continue. And I just wasn’t interested.
- A Ghost in the Throat by Doireann Ni Ghiorfa: okay this one is not so much a DNF as it is a “not right now”. It was just bad timing when I read this, because it’s a genuinely good book. It was just too much for my brain at the time I was reading it. I still highly recommend it, it just wasn’t for me at the time I was reading it.
- Mirage by Somaiya Daud: I haven’t fully decided if this is removed from my TBR or just removed for now. It sounds super interesting, but again, I wasn’t interested after the first chapter. If I have time, I may pick it up at some point. But for now, it’s a no.
Books still on my TBR
Unsurprisingly, the biggest category is books still on my TBR. Some of these were books I randomly chose for the Spin (I used a random number generator for some of my Spin TBRs); a lot are books that I own and were on my yearly TBR for that year. Some are books that I had on hold at the library at the time of the TBR. A lot are books I really want to read but just haven’t gotten to yet.
Overall, there are 43 books from my Spin TBRs that I still plan to read at some point:
- Run, Hide, Repeat by Pauline Dakin
- Bonfire by Krysten Ritter
- The Man who was Thursday: A Nightmare by G. K. Chesterton
- Do Not Say We Have Nothing by Medleine Thein
- A Little Life by Hanya Yangihara
- Heated Rivalry by Rachel Reid
- Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams
- Did you See Melody? by Sohoe Hannah
- Luster by Raven Leilani
- The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett
- Felix Ever After by Kacen Callender: this one is a kind of remove, kind of not. I read the first chapter and wasn’t super interested in continuing. But I own the ebook, so I may as well keep it on my TBR for now. I am hopeful that I’ll get to it at some point, it’s just not a priority.
- Mrs. Everything by Jennifer Weiner
- When No One is Watching by Alyssa Cole
- My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite
- Grown by Tiffany D. Jackson
- Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galazy by Douglas Adams
- Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
- A Portrait of the Artist os a Young Man by James Joyce
- An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
- All About Love by bell hooks
- Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
- The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones
- The Black Flamingo by Dean Atta
- Burn Our Bodies Down by Rory Power
- Three Souls by Janie Chang
- Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor
- Self-Portrait with Boy by Rachel Lyon
- Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi
- Detransition, Baby by Torrey Peters
- Unravel the Dusk by Elizabeth Lim
- City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
- Tin Man by Sarah Winman
- Perfect on Paper by Sophie Gonzales
- We Play Ourselves by Jen Silverman
- A Spell of Winter by Helen Dunmore
- How High We Go in the Dark by Sequoia Nagamatsu
- The Family Chao by Lan Samantha Change
- Gather the Daughters by Jennie Melamed
- And I Do Not Forgive You by Amber Sparks
- Beautiful World, Where Are You by Sally Rooney (I’m actually currently reading this!)
- Circe by Madeline Miller
- Stone Butch Blues by Leslie Feinberg
- Descendent of the Crane by Joan He
So our final stats:
- Read: 18
- Unread: 43
- Removed from TBR/DNF: 4
Overall, I’m fairly happy with these stats. Maybe I’ll use this list to make my next Spin list or something. We’ll see!
Anyway, have you read any of these books? Do you participate in the Spin? If not, you should! It’s a fun way to throw some randomness into your reading!
Thanks for reading! xx
Twitter // Instagram // Goodreads // Buy me a coffee!
3 thoughts on “Have I read the books on my Booktube Spin TBRs?”
Did you read all the actual picks though? I haven’t participated in many, though usually I follow through once I commit. I did some of the old school Classics Club spins in the past.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Other than the ones I DNF’d, I’ve read all the spin picks! (not counting the most recent spin because I haven’t even thought about them recently)