Hi friends, happy June!
I’m so excited to announce that I will be co-hosting round 4 of Graphics-a-thon! This is a read-a-thon with the aim of reading anything with graphics as the main storytelling feature/device. This can include graphic novels or memoirs, comic books, manga, picture books if you want. Anything that tells the story primarily through pictures.
This round, we have four hosts: myself, Ellyn, Rebecca, and Bec. The read-a-thon is happening June 21-27, and there are main prompts plus a bingo card with bonus prompts! We have a StoryGraph challenge set out, so please join that if you’re interested!
So in this post, I thought I’d introduce the prompts and give my tentative TBR!
So, we have five main prompts and a bingo card with bonus prompts. You can pick and choose which prompts you’d like, we’re not strict around here.
The main prompts:
- New-to-you author: self-explanatory. Read an author you haven’t read before.
- A 2020 or 2021 release: also self-explanatory. Read something published in either 2020 or 2021.
- A five-star prediction: read something you think will be a five-star read.
- An Indigenous author: read a book by an Indigenous author! (Goodreads list with recommendations)
- Out of your comfort zone: this can be anything outside your comfort zone, such as a different genre, age group, topic, art style, etc.
The bingo card
The bonus prompts
- Continue a series
- A different format: this can be an ebook, a webcomic, or anything else that is in a format different from what you usually read.
- A non-US/UK author: this can be any country other than the US/UK.
- A host recommendation: we will all be doing recommendation posts throughout the month!
- A rainbow on the cover (for pride!)
- An adaptation: anything that has an adaptation, such as a TV show or movie.
- Backlist title: read something that was published prior to 2020.
These are the books I 100% plan to read:
- The Fire Never Goes Out by Noelle Stevenson (five-star prediction)
- This Place: 150 Years Retold by Kateri Akiwnzie-Damm, Chelsea Vowel, Katherena Vermette, Jen Storm, Niigaanwewidam James Sinclair, David Alexander Robertson, Richard Van Camp, Brandon Mitchell, Sonny Assu, Rachel Qitsualik-Tinsley, Sean Qitsualik-Tinsley, and others (an
- Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me by Mariko Tamaki (a non-UK or US author)
- Check, Please! Book 2: Sticks and Scones by Ngozi Ukazu (continue a series)
- On a Sunbeam by Tillie Walden (a different format, available as a webcomic)
- Fun Home: a Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (a new-to-me author)
- Imagine Wanting Only This by Kristen Radtke (out of my comfort zone)
- Bloom by Kevin Panetta (backlist)
And these are some others I may get to
- V for Vendetta by Alan Moore
- Watchmen by Alan Moore
- Persepolis 2 by Marjane Satrapi
- Stitches by David Small
- Saga, Vol 1 by Brian K. Vaughan
- They Called Us Enemy by George Takei
- Paper Girls by Brian K. Vaughan
- Spinning by Tillie Walden
I hope you can join us for this round! Follow us on twitter for updates, follow the other co-hosts, and watch out for our recommendation posts!
See you June 21-27!