Hello friends, I hope you had a great April! Mine had a lot of highs and lows: a lot of exciting yet stressful things.
But let’s get into the books I read!
- We Were Eight Years in Power by Ta-Nehisi Coates: 4 stars
- The Mars Room by Rachel Kushner: 3 stars
- They Said This Would be Fun by Eternity Martis: 4 stars
- Love Lives Here by Amanda Jette Knox: 4.5 stars
- Theory by Dionne Brand: 3 stars
I read quite a few books this month, but unfortunately didn’t enjoy a lot of them. The Mars Room and Theory were both boring and I struggled getting through them. But I did enjoy the audiobooks I listened to, so you win some, you lose some.
- The Nowhere Girls by Amy Reed: this is on my 2021 TBR and luckily my library repurchased the ebook! I’ve been really enjoying it so far (depending on how the rest of the month goes, I might have finished it already).
- Meanwhile, Elsewhere edited by Cat Fitzpatrick and Casey Plett: I read a couple really great stories from this collection this month, and I’m excited to continue!
- All the Young Dudes by MsKingBean89: I’ve made no progress on this, soz.
- My boyfriend and I are doing a road trip back home this week, so I have the audiobooks for From the Ashes by Jesse Thistle, Three Women by Lisa Taddeo and Invisible Women by Caroline Criado Perez borrowed from the library. I’m also hoping to start Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo and The Project by Courtney Summers while we drive.
- Survivor: All Stars: I loved this season of survivor and thought it was great. I am obsessed with Rob and Amber and want the best for them. This season was just also very entertaining.
- Survivor: Cook Islands: this season was also so good!! I love Ozzie and Parvati and am so excited to see them in later seasons. I thought Yul winning was well-deserved, even if I loved Ozzie.
- Survivor: Fiji: we’re about halfway through this season, and it’s so good so far. Lots of twists and turns, lots of entertainment, lots of good characters. Very excited to see how it turns out.
- RuPaul’s Drag Race, seasons 7-10: my thoughts on these seasons can be summed up as: Pearl should not have made it to the final, I am in love with Violet Chachki, Kim Chi is so fun, the top four for season nine was perfect and I wanted them all to win, I am a Peppermint stan, I am literally in love with Sasha Velour, season 10 was kind of meh honestly, I loved Asia O’Hara but she fucked up the finale, and I’m glad Aquaria won.
- RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars, season 4: this is the only season on Netflix, so I’m watching it rn. I love the way eliminations happen, and I LOVE Manilla.
Other bookish posts
Which of my friends do I read the most like? // Books on my TBR: recent fiction additions // Discussion: the groundhog day trope // Books I rated 4.5 stars, but rounded to 4 // Books on my TBR: books I’ve never talked about // Some memoir recommendations
Other news and highlights
- The most notable thing that happened this month was I finished law school! I had my last class ever over zoom, which was anti-climatic but still exciting to finish. And I’ve handed in all my papers and everything, and am officially done!
- I met up with my friends a couple of times, once for a dinner picnic when it was super nice out, and another time to take pictures outside our university. It was great to see them and to have actual human connection for once lmao
- I had a game night over zoom with my family, which was great. Highly recommend the newest Jackbox games, they’re very fun.
- Other than that, I mainly finished school, went for walks, and packed my apartment up to move. As you’re reading this, I’ll be driving through Southern Ontario, so wish me luck!
How was your April? What have you read this month? Have you watched anything recently? Let me know!