Hello, friends! Happy Monday!
Usually, I make a list of goals for the year. But, this year will likely be highly unpredictable, like 2020 was, so I’ve decided not to set specific goals. I have very general, high-level goals, but nothing specific.
But, I still wanted to talk about my reading goals for this year, so that’s what we’re doing today!
Goodreads goal: 40 books
Last year, I set my goal at 30 books and ended up reading 60 books, largely due to audiobooks. I read 44 in 2019 and 29 in 2018. I don’t think 60 is feasible for this year, but I do think 40 is feasible given my last couple of years. So that’s the goal for this year!
Other reading goals
Read one graphic novel: I generally have a goal to read at least one graphic novel per year, and I’m continuing that tradition this year. I already own a couple, and have a bunch on my TBR, so hopefully this will be an easy goal!
Read one translated book: I want to try to read more translated literature, so I’m going to try to ready at least one translated book this year. I have Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982 by Cho Nam-Joo on my 2021 TBR, so hopefully this goal will be easy too!
Read at least 15 books on my physical TBR: I have been severely neglecting my physical TBR lately. There were some months in 2020 where I read exclusively books from my library. So I’m going to try to read at least 15 books from my physical TBR this year, if not more.
Read at least four non-fiction books: I always aim for 10% of the books I read to be non-fiction, and I read way more than that last year. But I’m keeping my goal at four for this year.
Backlist books I want to read
My post detailing the backlist books I want to read is coming on Friday! But here’s a snapshot of the books:
- The Gallery of Unfinished Girls by Lauren Karcz
- Who Will Run the Frog Hospital? by Lorrie Moore
- Do Not Say We Have Nothing by Madeleine Thien
- A Little Life by Hanya Yangihara
- The Nowhere Girls by Amy Reed
- Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor
- From the Ashes by Jesse Thistle
- Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982 by Cho Nam-Joo
- Ties That Tether by Jane Igharo
- Ragged Company by Richard Wagamese
2021 releases I want to read
I’ve decided to also prioritize some 2021 releases. I’m consistently behind on releases (in 2020, I only read four books published the same year), and I’m so excited for all of these books and didn’t want to forget about them.
- Honey Girl by Morgan Rogers (📖): this is a sapphic romance novel about a woman of colour in STEM who marries another woman on a night in Las Vegas. It sounds so good and I really want to read it ASAP.
- She’s Too Pretty to Burn by Wendy Heard (📖): I’m going to be totally honest, this was 90% a cover add. But the cover is SO GORGEOUS and I will definitely be buying a copy of this book at some point.
- The Project by Courtney Summers (📖): this sounds very up my alley (I love cults and investigative journalism) and has been on my TBR pretty much since it was announced, so I’ll hopefully get to it this year as well.
So those are some of my reading plans and goals for this year! But what are your goals? Which of these books should I prioritize first? Let me know!