Hello everyone! Two of my goals for 2020 were reach 1,600 followers and host a giveaway. I recently reached 1,600 followers on this blog (thank you all so much 💕💕), so today I’m hosting a giveaway to celebrate!
This giveaway will also be partially to support the Philippines, so please read the entry rules below. For a list of more ways you can support the Philippines, please see this carrd.
I will be giving away one (1) copy of Heart Berries by Terese Marie Mailhot.
Synopsis from Goodreads
Heart Berries is a powerful, poetic memoir of a woman’s coming of age on the Seabird Island Indian Reservation in the Pacific Northwest. Having survived a profoundly dysfunctional upbringing only to find herself hospitalized and facing a dual diagnosis of post traumatic stress disorder and bipolar II disorder; Terese Marie Mailhot is given a notebook and begins to write her way out of trauma. The triumphant result is Heart Berries, a memorial for Mailhot’s mother, a social worker and activist who had a thing for prisoners; a story of reconciliation with her father―an abusive drunk and a brilliant artist―who was murdered under mysterious circumstances; and an elegy on how difficult it is to love someone while dragging the long shadows of shame.
Mailhot trusts the reader to understand that memory isn’t exact, but melded to imagination, pain, and what we can bring ourselves to accept. Her unique and at times unsettling voice graphically illustrates her mental state. As she writes, she discovers her own true voice, seizes control of her story, and, in so doing, reestablishes her connection to her family, to her people, and to her place in the world.
Because I received this book for free, this will be an international giveaway and I will cover all the costs of shipping. The book is used, but is in great, almost new condition.
Here are ways you can enter
- Follow this blog if you don’t already (+1 entry)
- Follow me on Twitter (@allypallystaken) (+1 entry)
- Follow me on Instagram (@allyreadsthings) (+1 entry)
- Donate $5.75 to either Toronto Tiny Shelters or Philippines Red Cross (+2 entries)
- Must DM me proof on Twitter
- Must be $5.75 OR have proof of the donation date so I know it was for this giveaway
- Leave a comment on this blog telling me your favourite book by an Indigenous author or a book on your TBR by an Indigenous author (+1 entry)
- You must be at least 18 or have parental/guardian permission to enter
- You must be comfortable with telling me your address if you win so I can ship you the book!
- I will obviously never give this address to anyone else. I am the only one who runs this blog and will be the only one running the giveaway
- The winner will be chosen randomly through Rafflecopter
- The giveaway closes December 7, 2020 and the winner will be chosen by the end of the week
That is everything! If you have any questions, please let me know!
Thank you again for all your support! 💕