Happy September, friends! Today I’m talking about my August, which was pretty slow honestly. Surprising no one, I managed to read none of the books on my August reading plans. I have been in the worst slump ever these past few weeks, so much so that I stared out the car window for three hours rather than read the other week.
But I did listen to a few fun audiobooks, so let’s look at those!
- In Pieces by Sally Field: 4 stars
- Blood is Another Word for Hunger by Rivers Solomon: 3.5 stars
- I Hope We Choose Love by Kai Cheng Thom: 3.5 stars
- We Have Always Been Here by Samra Habib: 4.5 stars
- You Deserve Each Other by Sarah Hogle: 4 stars
- Sister Outsider by Audre Lorde: 4 stars
- I’ll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara: 5 stars
Of these, four of them were audiobooks, one was a short story, and one I had started in July. So I only read one full novel this month. BUT overall I’m not too upset about this.
- She Would be King by Wayétu Moore: I’ve been reading this for a few weeks now and am genuinely loving it. I just need to sit down and finish it at some point.
- The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker: finally! And I’m loving this a lot too. Super well-written and interesting.
- The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer: I’m listening to the audiobook for this, and I’m enjoying it! Palmer’s narration isn’t great honestly, but I like the substance of this book.
- The Great Canadian Baking Show: I started watching this with my sister on a road trip this month, and have now been going back and watching the rest. I love it so much and highly recommend it.
- Book review: The Belles
- Some glowing mini reviews of books I’ve loved recently
- Non-fiction mini reviews
Other bookish posts
Other news and highlights
- We started this month backpacking, and it was wonderful. We got super lucky with the weather, and it was hot and sunny all three days (with a couple hours of rain on Saturday but I just read in our tent). The hike was a lot longer than I thought; I thought it was 12 km in total, seven to where we were going to have lunch and five to the campground. But it was in fact seven to where we had lunch and 12 to the campground, so 19 in total. BUT it was gorgeous and I had a great couple of days.
- We had an online happy hour at work, which was really great. We talked a ton about books, so you know I’m working at the right place.
- I got hired back at my job for next year! For law in Canada, you have to do essentially a paid internship called articling to get called to the bar. The firm I worked for this summer hires articling students, but usually makes their summer students re-apply for articling. But this summer they offered articling to both me and my co-worker, who also said yes! I am so stoked to be doing articling with them, and so relieved I don’t have to worry about it during this year.
- My boyfriend and I had a fun little date day where we went for a hike, got take out and ate in a park, and got ice cream. We haven’t done much lately for obvious reasons, so it was great to have that day together.
- We had a couple of going away lunches at work during our last week, both of which were great. I worked with such great people this year, and am so happy I’ll be able to see them next year as well.
- My family and I went to Jasper at the end of this month. We did some canoeing, some hiking, some biking. We managed to find the two heated patios so that we didn’t have to eat inside a restaurant. It was a great and relaxing couple of days.
- My sister and I did a hike with one of our family friends a couple of days ago, and it was gorgeous.
That was my month! How was your August? Are you heading back to school? What did you read this month? Let me know!