Hi pals and gals, happy Friday! Today, I wanted to talk about some of my non-bookish favourites, some things I have been loving this summer that are not books. Obviously I love books, but I also like to talk about other things every once in a while.
Before we get started, there is a GoFundMe for Jacob Blake’s family to help with medical expenses and bills. If you can donate, please consider doing so. There is also a petition to charge the cops who shot him. Please consider signing (and DO NOT DONATE TO CHANGE.ORG PLEASE).
Also, the Toronto cops responsible for Regis Korchinski-Paquet’s death were found not liable. Here is a carrd with information on how you can help get justice for her.
Okay that is all for now. So here are some of the things I’ve been loving this summer.
What I’ve been watching
High School Musical: the Musical: the Series (Disney+): okay listen. Literally everyone I know has roasted me for watching this and trying to get them to watch it. But trust me, it’s so good. It’s so cute and sweet and FUNNY and the music is great. I watched this at a really hard time in my life and definitely latched on to it, BUT I have since rewatched it and it is still great. Please watch it. I promise you won’t regret it.
Glee (Netflix): I don’t know whether I’d say this is a favourite per se, but I have been enjoying watching and roasting it with my sister. It’s just so dumb. But it’s very entertaining, so
Exorbitant amounts of YouTube: other than the two things I just mentioned, the only other thing I’ve been watching is YouTube, so I thought I’d list some of my recent favourite creators and videos that I might not have mentioned before:
- Rowan Ellis: particularly her videos on queer representation in media. Her videos are super in-depth and interesting, I highly recommend them!
- Yhara Zayd: all of her videos. Literally all of them are good, but I’d particularly recommend her video on Holes and Jennifer’s Body.
- Schaffrillas Productions: he talks a lot about animated movies and is super passionate about them. Would recommend if you want discussions about Pixar and Shrek lmao
- Elena Doublca5t’s series “When Posting Goes Wrong”: all about online controversies. Cannot recommend them enough if you’re looking for something batshit crazy.
- Jenny Nicholson: especially her video on Bronies. It was really good??
- Sarah Z: especially her video on DashCon, which if you were on tumblr in 2013, will be a blast from the past.
- Kennie JD: especially her “Bad Movies and a Beat” series. I love them all, and I love her.
- Micarah Tewers: especially her video on why the costumes in Little Women were not historically accurate.
- D’Angelo Wallace: I’ve watched so many of his videos lately. And I’ve loved almost all of them. He’s super thorough and I love the drama of it all.
- Sideways: he talks a lot about music in movies, which is always fascinating. Highly recommend.
I really haven’t done much this summer other than work and watch TikTok, so I don’t have a ton of favourites tbh. But
- I bought these blue light glasses from Eye Buy Direct and I have been loving them. They’re super comfortable and I think they’re very cute.
- My sister and I have been expanding our baking abilities, and have loved these pretzels and these scones. Both have been delicious and great breakfasts (the pretzels with peanut butter make a really good breakfast, don’t @ me).
- I ordered some clothes from Dynamite and they have all fit and been very cute, so thank you to the online shopping gods for blessing me in this way. I bought these pants and they are very cute, would recommend.
- I also discovered some artists on RedBubble and ordered some of their prints, which I have been anxiously waiting for since I ordered them.
So those are some of my summer favourites! What have you been loving lately? Anything similar to me? Let me know!