Hi friends and fellow book lovers! July is over, August is upon us, and I am once again asking where the weeks have gone.
- Big Water by Andrea Curtis: 3.5 stars
- The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi Coates: 3 stars
- The Stone Collection by Kateri Akiwenzie-Damm: 3.5 stars
- Catch and Kill by Ronan Farrow: 5 stars
- Kindred by Octavia E. Butler: 5 stars
- We Are Okay by Nina LaCour: 4.5 stars
- Buffy Sainte-Marie: the Authorized Biography by Andrea Warner: 4 stars
- In Pieces by Sally Field: 4 stars
- The Collector by John Fowles: 3 stars
Not a terrible reading month, but not great either. I either flew through books in a day, or took weeks to read them 🤷🏼♀️🤷🏼♀️
- I Hope we Choose Love by Kai Cheng Thom: I’m not loving this tbh. I’m finding Thom’s writing hard to get through. But my hold at the library is up soon, so I’m going to push through in the next couple of days.
- We Have Always Been Here: a Queer Muslim Memoir by Samra Habib: I just recently started the audiobook for this, and I’m really enjoying it so far!
- My sister and I have started watching Glee because why not. We had to take a minor hiatus because she was minorly concussed, but hopefully we can start again soon.
- Book review: This is How You Lose the Time War
- Mini review: Bad Feminist
- Mini review: Spellbook of the Lost and Found
Other bookish posts
Mid Year Freak Out Tag: 2020 edition // Revisiting my five-star predictions + more predictions! // Some queer book recommendations because even though pride might be over, reading queer books never is // Reassessing my Top TBR list // You guess my favourite books! // What to read next: a flowchart
Other news and highlights
- Not a lot happened in July either!
- I had a picnic with some of my friends, which was great. It was good to see them and spend some time outside.
- I had a FaceTime date with my friend Shadi, and it was good to catch up with her, too! We haven’t talked in a while, so it was nice to catch up.
- My family and I went mountain biking a couple of times, which was also good. It was my first time mountain biking, and we got alarmingly close to a bear.
- We also went hiking a bunch and am going backpacking next weekend! I’m vv excited for that.
- I’ve gone to court for work a couple of times, so that’s been cool! I’m working on some interesting cases, and work has been really good, so I’m happy about that.
- That’s about it!
Also don’t forget to support your local trans organization today!
- Skipping Stone: connects trans and gender diverse youth, adults and families with comprehensive and low barrier access to supports they need in Alberta.
- Here’s a list of organizations to support Black trans people
- Here’s a list of LGBTQ+ organizations to support
And here’s a BLM carrd! Go sign a petition! Donate!
How was your July? How’s social distancing been? Getting bored yet? Same. But hang in there!