Hi gals and pals! January lasted about 57 weeks but it is finally over!
- Fall on Your Knees by Anne-Marie MacDonald: four stars
- Wilder Girls by Rory Power: four stars
- The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline: four stars
- Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado: four stars
- Hunger by Roxane Gay: five stars
This was such a great reading month! I kind of cheated because I started both Fall on Your Knees and Her Body and Other Parties in December, but shhhh.
- Vita Nostra by Marina and Sergey Dyachenko: this is the weirdest book I’ve read in a long time, but I’m really enjoying it! I’m about 80% finished and am very excited to finish it.
The Only Girl in the World by Maude Julien: this is a memoir about Julien’s life. I’m listening to it on audiobook, which is a great option. It’s very heartbreaking, but I’m really enjoying it.
- Little Women (2019): would recommend, 10/10
- Parasite (2019): amazing, flawless, perfect, deserves all the awards and more, 10/10
- Gossip Girl, season 6: DAN!!?!??! 10/10 for Chuck and Blair ONLY
- Side note: I know I am eight years too late so no one would be interested in a full post on my thoughts on the Gossip Girl finale so I’m just going to put them here.
- Overall, Dan being Gossip Girl is annoying and doesn’t make the most sense but actually isn’t my biggest issue with the finale.
- My BIGGEST issue is that it jumps like five years at the very end, and everything is resolved. BUT for the audience, all of that happens immediately, without any resolution between the characters.
- Take Dan and Serena, for example. They just find out that Dan has been Gossip Girl and has caused all this hurt and pain in their lives for the past five(ish) years. And then, from the audience’s perspective, Dan and Serena immediately get married. They would obviously have so much to work through before that ever happened. And it just seemed off to have it go from “you were GG and caused us so much pain” to “we’re getting married” so quickly, with barely a conversation between the two of them.
- And it was like that with essentially every character. Jenny, Serena, and Blair still have so many issues between the two of them, but they’re all of a sudden best pals at Serena’s wedding. William and Lily are back together, DESPITE all of the weird manipulative things he did.
- I know that as the viewers, we’re supposed to fill in the gaps. I know it didn’t happen immediately after. But the way it was written didn’t help move the resolution along.
- Honestly, if it had ended with a conversation between Dan and Serena being like “do we want a relationship? yes, but we need a lot of work”, that would have been a much better and satisfying ending than the wedding.
I am very easy to please when it comes to movies and TV shows, so take my 10/10 with a bit of a grain of salt. Parasite and Little Women were perfect, though.
- Series review: The Flappers
- 2019 backlist mini reviews
- 2019 mini audiobook reviews + what works for me in audiobooks
Other bookish posts
Other news and highlights
- January was pretty chill school-wise for me. The past few months, I’ve been doing an internship with the Senate of Canada with a very cool Senator, which has been a great experience. I did a research project for her in January, which was a great way to spend my January semester.
- My friends and I had a game night, so I got to meet my friend’s boyfriend and play games and it was a great night.
- I went back home to Calgary for my mom’s birthday, which was great! We went to Lake Louise and ate pasta and cake, and had a great time. We also saw Little Women, which I’d 10/10 recommend.
- My friends came over for a gals night, and we drank wine and ate popcorn and had a great time overall.
- The newest season of the Bachelor started!!!!! Which is really just another excuse for my friends and I to drink wine and eat candy. Great way to destress, very mindless and dumb drama, would recommend.
- We got more information on the Hunger Games prequel, and honestly, I’m stoked??
The new winter semester has started at school now, and I’m super busy this semester, so sorry if I’m a little more absent than usual!
How was your January? Let me know!!