August is over and where is the time going! I’m writing this as 12:01 am because I didn’t realise it was the end of August lmao
- The Most Dangerous Place on Earth by Lindsey Lee Johnson: 4 stars
- Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater: 4 stars
- Columbine by Dave Cullen: 4 stars
- Night Film by Marisha Pessl: 3 stars (maybe?? idk don’t ask me)
- Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney: 4 stars
- The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See: 3.5 stars
- This Darkness Mine by Mindy McGinnis: 3 stars
- Recommendations for… books for when you want pure, 100% trash
- If you liked The Butterfly Garden, try…
Other bookish posts
Favourite books by female authors // Favourite books by male authors // Plays on my TBR // My favourite books by authors I’ve read multiple books from // Tropes I want to see more of // Asian-inspired fantasy books on my TBR // Books in every genre with good female representation + why it’s important
How to series
My family and I went to a combination Starbucks/Chapters for Starbucks because we were emotional and obviously we had to look in Chapters quickly, so my sister and I got Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo! (just in time for me to leave lmao)
Other news and highlights
- My friends and I had an old-fashioned sleepover while I had the house to myself, and it was so great. I hadn’t seen them a lot recently, so it was good to catch up and have an old-fashioned sleepover (with alcohol!)
- I got back into horseback riding for a couple of weeks while my sister was out of town, and it was so great.
- Side note: we sold my horse (to a very good and lovely family who will let me visit him whenever I want and will love and take care of him for the rest of his life), so this is the first time in 10 years I haven’t had a horse. It’s really weird, because every summer for the past decade of my life, I’ve been able to ride or go to the barn whenever I wanted. The other day, I had nothing to do, and I thought, “oh, I’ll just go to the barn to give Jack grass.” But I couldn’t because we don’t have a horse?? And I don’t really know what to do with my time now? It’s sad because my baby is gone, but it’s also just a weird adjustment, you know?
- My family and I went to BC for a week and had a lot of fun! We went stand-up paddle boarding and kayaking, and I went surfing for the first time and wasn’t as bad at it as I thought!
- While we were in BC, we got to see my old horse ♥♥♥ she’s retired to her old owners’ farm out there, and they let my sister and I spend the night and see her. While we were there, we also picked blueberries, went swimming in their pool, and drove around their 4×4 tractor, so it was a great couple of days.
- My friends and I had a wine and paint night, and 10/10 would recommend. Get glossy-finish spray, it makes everything look much better. Would also recommend drinking rosé and eating fuzzy peaches.
- I made my mom watch Brené Brown’s Netflix special (it’s called The Call to Courage, everyone should watch it) and she loved it! My mom recently read Melinda Gates’ book, and it became the standard for everything. So when we finished the special, my mom went, “wow, she might be better than Melinda Gates”, which is high praise.
How was your August? Let me know!!