July was (luckily) a much better month for me than June was!! I still can’t believe it’s over though and that 2018 is half done.
Hear the Wind Sing (the Rat #1) by Haruki Murakami: 3 stars
Pinball, 1973 (the Rat #2) by Haruki Murakami: 4 stars
The Power by Naomi Alderman: 4 stars
You might remember me posting at the end of June that I was going to be doing Tome Topple, but that didn’t happen. Work and life were super busy the first couple weeks of July, so I didn’t read as much as I wanted to. I did finish book one of 1Q84 though!! So I’m a third of the way done!
I ended up not posting any reviews because of Popular and Unpopular Opinion Weeks, which I’m not upset about!
Book discussions posted
Other bookish posts
OKAY Chapters had a table of books that were 3 for $10, which I couldn’t pass up. So I got The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce, and The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. I also got Let’s Talk About Love by Claire Kann to give my ace friend for her birthday.
From around the internet
Terry Crews and the Discomfort of Masculine Anxiety: from the Atlantic and related to Terry Crews’ testimony. This was a super interesting look at toxic masculinity.
[…] Crews’s commitment to excavating his own trauma on a national stage, an undertaking that can be equal parts cathartic and retraumatizing, crucially helps broaden the woefully narrow profile of victims whose stories are most readily believed.
Why I’m Fighting to Decolonize Canada’s Education System: again from FLARE, who sometimes has some seriously great posts. This one is about an Indigenous teen in Toronto (I’m pretty sure) and the education system.
Cynthia Nixon Spoke About Her Mother’s Illegal Abortion at a Rally: idk what kind of dystopian future we’re living in where TEEN VOGUE of all places is writing great pieces, but I’m honestly not mad about it.
We must never, ever, ever go back to a time when any woman feels she has to make this kind of a choice. And this is why we must fight.
What Does The Gender Divide In Criticism Mean For Women Filmmakers?: from Refinery 29. This was super interesting and looked at how a lack of female critics in the film industry influences what we consider “good movies.”
Sandra Oh’s Emmy Nomination Is About So Much More Than an Award: from Vice. This was such a good look at Asian rep in media and how it’s ridiculous that it’s 2018 and Sandra Oh is the first.
Florence and the Machine’s new feminist sensibility: from the Economist. I love Florence and this was such an interesting read about her new album and feminism. I didn’t really like how it pits Florence vs. other female artists, but it was an interesting comparison on the different types of feminism and empowerment.
At a time when many female performers struggle to combine power and vulnerability, Ms Welch delivers a much-needed complexity.
Obama Says Men Have Been ‘Getting On My Nerves Lately’: from the Huffington Post and honestly same.
Other news and highlights
- My friends had a Canada Day party and it was a ton of fun!
- My best friend came back from her study abroad and we got fro-yo and ended up talking until midnight.
- We went hiking at Sunshine Meadows, which is my favourite ski hill that allows hiking in the summer. It was gorgeous.
- I did two themed weeks of blog posts, and they were super popular and successful, which I’m so happy about!! Thank you all for your support!!
- My family went on an overnight canoe trip and it was so great!! It was honestly the most perfect weather and the campsite was amazing and the whole trip was great.
- I went out to WURST again with my friends and danced on tables again.
- My sister did a horse show with my horse, and it was kind of weird being at a horse show and not riding, but it was a lot of fun!! And I ended up riding him on the Saturday of the horse show and we killed it!!!
- I found a place to live next year!!!! I’m so excited about the place and the people I’m living with and I’m just so happy we found a place to live lol
- My best friend and I went to IKEA so I could buy furniture for said place and it was a lot of fun (lol)
- I transferred all my book reviews to my Goodreads!! I’m really bad at cross-posting my reviews, and I finally got around to doing so!
How was your month?
Thanks for reading! xx