Almost two months of the year down! Yay! This month was super busy for me, but pretty good! It’s crunch time for my thesis and I’ve been overwhelmed with work and school, but I was fortunate enough to travel during reading break and have a good, relaxing time (in balmy New Brunswick).
Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo: 4.5 stars. I love this book a lot and highly recommend it! Like always, review to come.
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: 4.5 stars. I stole this from the friend I was staying with and I loved it! I’m such a fan of Adichie’s writing and I loved the story of this book.
Starfish by Akemi Dawn Bowman: 4 stars
Book discussions posted
I got some books this month! My best friend got me Pnin by Vladimir Nabokov. I hadn’t heard of this book at all before, but she knows I love Nabokov so I’m super excited to read it. When we were in Halifax, we went to the coolest thrift store ever and I got two books for $3!! I got Night by Elie Wiesel, which I’ve been reading to read for forever, and Hunger by Lan Samantha Chang, which I know nothing about but it sounded very interesting.
From around the internet
I had quite a few this month, so bear with me!
Mental Health of Transgender Veterans in US States With and Without Discrimination and Hate Crime Legal Protection: A super interesting academic article I found while looking up other papers. It was not published this month (or even this year) but I really enjoyed it.
Doctor shares dying children’s wishes: ‘Be kind and eat ice cream’: from the BBC. A really touching reading.
The search for Jackie Wallace: probably one of my favourites this month. A really interesting look at a football player, concussions, addiction, and homelessness. I highly recommend it.
#MeToo Has Done What the Law Could Not: a great discussion about the #MeToo movement and how it has changed society already.
I Spent Two Years Trying to Fix the Gender Imbalance in My Stories: another favourite this month. The journalist changed the amount of women he quotes in his articles and i really enjoyed it!
Inside the Two Years That Shook Facebook — and the World: I find Facebook such an interesting website and organization, and this article was so interesting. I particularly liked this quote:
Humans are social animals. But the internet is a cesspool.
Florida student to NRA and Trump: ‘We call BS’: if you have not seen Emma Gonzalez’s speech from an anti-gun rally after the horrific Parkland shooting, then watch it now. I cried several times (but I’m also just an emotional bitch so what can you do). If you only read one thing from this whole post, let it be this!
Other news and highlights
For Woman of the Month, I highlighted Audre Lorde, a queer feminist black author who sounds amazing.
- I saw a PSA on TV about endometriosis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- I watched the Grand Budapest Hotel for the first time and loved it.
- There was the first openly gay Olympic gold medalist!!!! He was a Canadian figure skater who won gold with the team
- I visited my best friend who lives in New Brunswick and saw the university my mom went to and the diner she ate at all the time and the residence she lived in
- I watched the ice dance finals with my uncle and Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir won gold again and my heart was very happy (I just have a lot of feelings about Tessa and Scott I’m sorry)
- At a pub in Halifax, our waitress made a joke that basically screamed I’M GAY so being the good friend I am, I went to the bathroom so my (very queer) friend could attempt to flirt with the lovely queer waitress, only to have the waitress tell her that she thought I was cute lol
- Watched the women’s hockey final at the same pub, which unfortunately ended badly for Canada but was still fun
- Found the most cryptic button at a thrift store in Halifax that just said “I’m going to be in Chatham on May 8. Are you?” so obviously I bought it
- Re-watched series 4 of Doctor Who with my best friend and cried about how good Donna and Ten were together
I’m sorry I’ve been distant this past month. School and work have been catching up with me and I’ve been super busy. But I promise I’ll be back to normal soon! I’ve still been reading all your posts and comments, so thank you for all your support! ❤ ❤
How was your month?
Thanks for reading! xx